1924 – Visitation Parish, Tacoma
Bishop Edward O’Dea requested that Mother Louisa Walz, elected prioress of St. Benedict’s in 1919, establish a new mission at Visitation parish in Tacoma, as well as missions at Assumption parish in Seattle and Queen of Angels parish in Port Angeles where the Benedictine monks were already serving. She arrived to visit the mission at Holy Rosary School and to meet with the Bishop regarding his request. Having heard that private schools might be outlawed in Washington State due to the influence of strong anti-Catholic and Klu Klux Klan elements, she wanted clarity around the future of any mission there. The proposed laws outlawing private schools failed to pass and she agreed to send sisters to open a school at Visitation parish.