Archives: Timeline Express Announcements

1952 – The First Priory

After more than a year of searching, the sisters decided upon a home sitting on five acres in west Olympia called Mud Bay. The sisters did not consider this a permanent option but one that served their purposes…

1951 – Finding a Location for New Monastery

The mission sisters begin a search for appropriate property outside of Seattle and Tacoma, a stipulation of Archbishop Connolly – sites from Olympia down to Longview were considered. Friends of the sisters drove them around to look at…

1948 – The Monastic Diurnal

Sisters receive The Monastic Diurnal to chant the Divine Office – which have parallel columns in English and Latin.

1947 – A New Monastery in Washington State

In May, Mother Rosamond Pratschner of St. Benedict Convent, who had taught at Holy Rosary in its early years, informed Bishop Gerald Shaughnessy that they were forming a Pontifical Congregation at the behest of Rome. She wanted the…

1930 – Catholic Teachers Begin Earning Degrees

One result of anti-Catholic legislation was a series of laws passed that required all private school teachers to earn their Bachelor degrees from accredited colleges in Washington State. Determined to build a presence in the Pacific Northwest, St….

1926 – Divine Office Restored to Benedictine Women in U.S.

Since shortly after their arrival to the United States, Benedictine women had been denied the right to chant the Divine Office as bishops and abbots felt this took time away from teaching. Finally, the right of the Sisters…

1925 – Visitation School Established in Tacoma, WA

Sisters Humbeline Lauermann, Ositha Stellbrink, Elicia Koenig, Celestia Lauermann, Angeline Pelzer, and Romona Gefre arrived from St. Benedict Monastery to help establish Visitation School. When Visitation School was opened in 1925, Sister Ositha Stellbrink was a member of…

1924 – Visitation Parish, Tacoma

Bishop Edward O’Dea requested that Mother Louisa Walz, elected prioress of St. Benedict’s in 1919, establish a new mission at Visitation parish in Tacoma, as well as missions at Assumption parish in Seattle and Queen of Angels parish…

1916 – Holy Rosary School Flourishes

Holy Rosary School continued to flourish. However, Bishop Busch of Saint Cloud, MN, alarmed everyone when he announced his intention to recall the Benedictine Sisters from Washington State. Bishop O’Dea of Seattle wrote to the Papal Delegate and…

1907 – Sister Milburgis Sager

  Sister Milburgis Sager, a gifted musician, arrived at Holy Rosary school and parish. She would become one of the founding members of St. Placid Priory.